samedi 27 mars 2010

Cambodia week 4: CEO Party and slumber parties!

It is getting quite hot in Cambodia now and the rainy season is approaching (starts around May). This week's highlight was that it was a short week. Monday was off, and friday I stayed home because I got slightly sick due to the heat. On thursday the electricity broke down at work and I found myself dripping before I knew it. So we all got off in the afternoon since we couldn't work in those conditions. After having a fresh juice with Charlie, my british colleague I took a moto home and stopped to get some badminton rackets on the way. I realize that I don't exercise at all here, I sit on my behind all day and eat and drink and eventually walk up and down the road. Soooo...a nice way to move and have fun: Badminton.
So I got home and took a nap because I was feeling a bit dizzy. I was being picked up by my friend Max to go to a VVIP party called CEO Party, a business networking dinner before the WorldCam Exhibiton (business expo). So we got there in a huge white tent and got seated near the stage. I was able to meet some interesting and successful people despite the lack of organization that the "party" showed. There was a nice dinner and wine (for free hehe) and we made a party out of our table because everyone else around were all way too serious.



Rong Rong and Melissa were fun girls and very smart one too


The next day was a little harder. Because of the heat the day before, I felt a bit sick so I stayed in bed most the day and drank lots of water and slept. The air cooled down a bit after a nice and rainy day so it felt better at night and we had the Projects Abroad monthly dinner at this really cool BBQ-yourself place where boxes with hot coal are put into the holes in the table and a sort of steamer pan is put on top. Water is the poured all around the dome shaped top and then you put on veggies in the water so that they boil while the meat is being grilled on the dome part. It was good and great fun and...really hot. The staff was in a very good mood and most of us ended up at Happy Guesthouse (as usual) to have a bit of a party. Sophan and Sython 2 of the funniest staff members were on fire and being hilarious. The night went on until only us girls from apartment 4 remained...after a group hug and a really creative new found team slogan "Apartment 4! Apartment 4!" we all went home in a tuktuk singing "I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie Woooooorld! Life in Plastic, it's faaantastiiiic!" followed by a very loud and off key "Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones, Calling Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones wake up now!"...Do I need to mention we know our AQUA classics??? LOL. Getting into the apartment we realized no one was home so we could be as loud as we wanted...so after another shout of our slogan and group hug we went to bed. Bet the night guard was happy to see us go to bed.
Yesterday Shannon and I played some badminton in the gardens not far away from our home and were pretty bad...it's the heat. We blame everything on the heat.
That night we had a "slumber party". All of us girls took down some mattresses and pillows and watched movies and ate candy...we felt really girly but was much needed after going out so much.


Shannon and Katherine setting up the slumber area while the night guard watches us amused


Katherine and Margaux


I told you a while ago that the trend here is pajamas...that is our cook


Signe catching us from above..."I am a Golden God!!!!"


Today I woke up early in time to go with Shannon to the Russian Market and check out the stuff they have there...I'm guessing I will be shopping there a lot before I go home (silk and silver especially). Now I am sitting at the pool writing this. It is nice and a nice way to end the weekend. This week will be my last week at the Globe. Starting Easter Monday, I will be taking care of the kids at CFC orphanage for my last month. Did I already say time flies here? Well it does. This last month I intend to take every occasion to go out and discover new things, perhaps travel a bit around the country. We have Khmer New Year coming up mid April so that's 3 days off plus weekend, nice eh? Probably will go to Siem Reap to see the Angkor temples and hopefully go up north one weekend and do a jungle or elephant trek.
I wanna go back to the beach in Shianoukville too and go boating...oh well we'll see if time and money permits it. I also have 2 days off right before I leave so we'll see how I get organized.
Anyways, that was all for my 4th week here. Starting on 5th tomorrow...oh my...cheerio or as we say here Chow Moy! (cheers)

1 commentaire:

  1. Hei Catalina!
    God påske!
    Ser ut til at du opplever en hel masse, det er topp- Jeg følger med selvom jeg ikke har skrevet på bloggen tidligere. Jeg har hatt en deilig påske, vært i Hemsedal med Lars og Camilla. Dessverre var været veldig dårlig, men det ble litt ski hver dag- Vi hadde det veldig koslig inne isteden. Var også to dager på den nye flotte hytta til Anne og Geir. Den også veldig flott, men dårlig vær der også. Ikke noe ski, men litt leking i snøen med Tobias. Vi tenker på deg, ha det bra så lenge. Tiden flyr, snart er du hjemme igjen.. Gleder meg til å se flere bilder og høre de andre fortellingene....
    Stor klem Kristin/Swigi

    RépondreSupprimer