vendredi 5 mars 2010

Cambodia day 4: Camera dares to venture out.

Ok you're probably wondering why there is so much text and no photos yet...well this is the first day that I actually dared pull out my camera and start taking pictures. I mean they tell you scary theft stories here and I wouldn't want my new baby (thanks to mom, dad, jeff and mark for giving it to me btw) to be stolen. So here are my first images of Phnom Penh:














Seen from the PA Office












A "tiger" tuktuk









Today I had a workshop for my next month's placement at the orphanage. Apparently the job sometimes requires some basic teaching and I have never thaught, so I figured it would be good for me to go. I left work early (after what I felt was an unproductive morning of news searching) and got to the PA office quite early because my driver misunderstood the time I had told him to pick me up. "Today I finish early. So you have to pick me up at 1.30pm ok?", he doesn't get it. I repeat 3 times. We get someone to translate, he says ok and we're good. Then at 1pm he calls me and asks where I am...oh well! I told you the language barrier is sometimes difficult...nothing compared to what was waiting at the workshop though!!!

There were just 2 of us attending. Shannon and I. Mr. Hong, a very nice teacher made us feel like we were about 10 years old. Both repeating and reading whatever was written in rather simple English. After about almost 1 hour of suffering both the language difficulties (he was barely to be understood) and the boredom of the workshop, I realize that he thinks we are going to do ONLY teaching. Nooooooo. I told him that we were doing Care and then he kind of looked at us like: "Aww...well then in Care, well you play a lot..." haha, so we had gone through what teacher's morals are and what teachers do for an hour just to find out it did not really apply to us. So then he thought us some Khmer instead (for those of you who are ignorant: Khmer is the Cambodian language). Well I got some words but what I can say is that IT IS HARD!!! Not sure how much I will learn.



















Seang and I at the PA Office


When we finally got out we decided that we needed a drink. That workshop was too hardcore for us to handle.



Corinne and I on the roof of apartment 2, drinking coke


After a while of just relaxing and eating we went out for a little friday night's fun on the lakeside. We went to this really cool place called Lost and Found a had some pretty good cocktails. And of course who comes in to sit right next to us?? My Boss!!! What a lucky one I am! No it was cool and funny and we moved to another bar later so that was OK. I didn't stay out too late and actually behaved a bit. Wanted to enjoy the next day :)

Phnom Penh at night fall

2 commentaires:

  1. Hei Catalina, super tekst og fine bilder, det ser ut til at du vil faa en fin opplevelse der.
    Stor klem fra alle oss i Lutry

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Looks like you have some fun despite all the language difficulties. I'm actually surprised you don't speak Khmer, don't you speak like a dozen languages already? Alright, have fun, give care, and learn Khmer already, it'll take you a few weeks im sure.

    RépondreSupprimer