mercredi 3 mars 2010

Cambodia day 2; Introduction day

I forgot my earplugs...so needless to say my night was both short and uncomfortable. Waking up when you've just fallen asleep, are jet-lagged and have to meet up for an introduction to Cambodia, is really tough, like a slap in the face actually.
So Sophourn, one of the Project Abroad coordinators came to pick me up with a tuk tuk at 8.30 am and we went off to the PA office where I was introduced to the staff and the director, Pises. I was given a welcome package with loads of information that I already had and we went over all that information...again. Then I got to read about other volunteer's positions at CFC, the Charity Foundation for the Children, where I will be working during month #2. There was no information about my internship place, called the Southeast Asia Globe magazine, because I am the first volunteer to work there :)

The staff at PA is very nice and helpful and despite the language barrier which can be quite a challenge, it is fun to talk and joke around with them. They made fun of me because, "Catalina the blonde" was offered something that looked like an olive which she threw in her mouth and started chewing until she realized they were all looking and asking "what are you doing???" Apparently it was a lotus flower seed that needed to be peeled before eating...guess who felt like a glutton?
It was good and I didn't get sick though :)

After making a bit of a fool of myself it was time for Sophourn to take me around the city in a tuk tuk. He showed me the main sights, which was fun and I saw a lot of beautiful architecture and I can't wait to go out and explore a bit more!

At 2.30 Pises drove me to the Globe to introduce me to my boss (he is German and looks like a slightly nervous teenager), very nice (and the big + is that the room is air conditionned). I have a huge mac computer screen, just for me :), so I guess I won t have troubles reading what's on the screen. We briefly talked about the magazine, what they write about, what I'll be doing. Their magazine is mostly for the middle and upper class Cambodians, expats and tourists who want to be informed about issues around Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam (countries in which the Globe is read). It is actually quite an interesting magazine which one could possibly compare to the Economist. It was decided that I would start at 10AM the next day and possibly...maybe...perhaps be going with my boss Arne to a press conference at the Australian Embassy (YAY!!!!)

Pises then invited me for a cold coke which came as a blessing in the smoldering heat. When I came home I decided to lay down for a bit and rest before venturing out on my own for the very first time...a scary thought for me. Sure enough I made it out and about, strolling down the street towards the places I had been the day before with my roomates. I went and got myself some notebooks and then searched for a cheap phone. All I needed was a second hand phone and not too complicated. The phone lady was telling me the cheapest she had was 18 USD, which I've heard is too much. So I said that was too much and was ready to give up when she pulled out her own phone (a Nokia not too shabby looking) and said she could sell it to me for 15 USD. I said ok and got myself a nice phone (yes, I did get the charger for it and it works...just for those of you who were skeptical about the fact that a blonde would forget that detail).

Then I headed back to the house and met up with Corinne with whom I was going to a grocery store that was a bit far away. We climbed a tuk tuk and took a nice ride in the evening. Later that night, Corinne, Andy, Jasper and I (Jasper is dutch and one of the only guys there) went to Happy Guest House, a beautiful bar/guest house that was right on the lake. It was tropical and it was great and the beer was nice and fresh and we met a lot of fun people.

Well that was quite a long and busy day wasn't it?

1 commentaire:

  1. its nice to see the children, from their faces the future looks bright in Cambodia.

    p.s. I had the same feeling about escargots.

    RépondreSupprimer