dimanche 2 mai 2010

Cambodia; Last few days at CFC (long overdue post)

My last few days at the orphanage were nice, I brought bubbles for the kids one day and they were so happy. Unfortunately I did not bring enough for all of them and they were a bit jealous of each other...of course trying to make them understand that they have to share was quite a challenge. But it worked out in the end and there were lots of giggles and bubbles.


Leang


Srey Neath


The boys and their bubble "sabers", may the force be with them


Pheakdey


Can you see the happiness?



Sreyneang


On Thursday I decided it was time to get on with a project I had thought of for the older kids (13-17 years old). With some financial support from Projects Abroad, I went and bought 11 disposable Kodak cameras and brought them to the orphanage a bit worried about how the other kids would react when they didn't get one. I briefed the director about the situation and told him I wanted him to explain the reason why there were no cameras for the younger ones. This was part of a project I had in mind before leaving for Cambodia. I was not sure until recently if the project would work and I am still not sure how it will work out. I want to have a photo exhibition with the kids' photos when I get back to Europe and try and do it as a fund raising event to get the kids new computers and possibly a camera for them to pursue their artistic talents.

Checking out the cameras

Ratanak

They were really happy to get them and my fear of the other kids being jealous soon vanished as they understood my reasons. The older kids actually shared their cameras with the younger ones which I found really sweet...and of course mine was constantly snatched out of my hands from some of the avid young photographers. We took them to the Pagoda and the market so that they could try their cameras.

On our way to the Pagoda


The kids playing on elephant statues





In the afternoon, Ben and I had a farewell party where we bought a 50kg bag of rice for the orphanage and nice cakes and other goodies for the party. The kids loved it and they kept hugging us all afternoon.


Awkun teacha!


Group photo


Hmm the cakes :)








Khda

Lin, 2 years old, my sunshine




New sorts of breast implants...water balloons haha


Choll Moy!




Pinata games with water balloons







Knyom! Knyom! (Me! Me!)









On friday, my last day, it was a rainy morning, so I took my laptop and the kids got to watch Finding Nemo and Up. They really enjoyed it I think although they could not understand what was being said. Then afternoon I also brought some snacks and goodies for us to enjoy before I took off.







Some hungry ones, there was nothing left!

Vireak and Lin waiting for the party to begin


Choll Moy Vireak!








Mr. Socheat (director) and Channah (nanny)

It was sad saying goodbye and thinking that I might not see them again. But I do want to come back one day and see how they are doing but since kids come and go.
Here are some videos of the kids:


Sreyneang and I spinning and getting dizzy



Komsan singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star



1 commentaire:

  1. What happend to the photo project? perhaps something to think about! :D
    KLEMS

    RépondreSupprimer